QCA ArtHotel Residency Program
The QCA ArtHotel Residency, a new program of QCA, Queens Art Fund in partnership with The Paper Factory Hotel and the Z NYC Hotel. The QCA ArtHotel residency is intended to give artists a safe place to focus on their work in the public realm, build different audiences, and be seen making work within the Queens community. In turn this will give access to the public to a working artist’s process. This residency is also intended to build the value of local working artists in an attempt to revise the narrative of displacement due to gentrification and development borough-wide.
ArtHotel artist residency program has been established to offer 2 Queens- based artists, a $3,000 stipend each, for a 3-month period of time to work outside of their traditional environment and daily life. The artist will not live on-site. Artists of any discipline may apply.
As the organizer of this residency, QCA’s view is that artists are creative and valuable community members who are often experts at creative problem solving and encouraging neighbors to interact, in addition to being specialists who make works of art.
ArtHotel Residency is not a traditional residency where the artists work in a place of isolation, but a place where artists retreat to create their work and have an opportunity to focus inwardly on it and share her/his process with the public.
Artists will be working in a designated space within the hotel that will be publically viewed. Artists must be comfortable with an open working environment.
QCA will act as the residency organizer of ArtHotel and will facilitate the selection process, as well as provide assistance to both the artist and the residency host throughout the course of the project.
The Paper Factory Hotel and the Z NYC Hotel, both located in western Queens, will be acting as hosts of the ArtHotel Residency program.
The Paper Factory Hotel and the Z NYC Hotel will provide space for the residency artist to be active in creating, practicing or performing their art making in a public environment.
- The Paper Factory Hotel is an open space with windows located in the hotel lobby with a separate storage area.
- The Z NYC Hotel designated space is a 2nd floor hotel room with access 24/7.
The artist’s workspace and equipment will be secured and remain undisturbed over the course of the residency.
A community room, or other place within the hotel facility maybe accessed to host public events or workshops, during the residency. The artist will have access to wifi.
Proposal methods and criteria for selection
Applications are now CLOSED.
Online Application will include:
1. Artist statement
2. Artistic Resume or Bio
3. Proposed use of residency time
4. Proposed public involvement activity to take place during residency
5. Proposed culminating event/ exhibition
6. Work sample submissions-
- Visual arts - up to 10 images in one of the following formats: jpg, tiff, png;
- Performance or Media arts - up to 2 works samples not to exceed 5 minutes in total of video or audio. Work samples maybe submitted in one of the following formats: MP3, MP4, WAV, MOV;
7. Past Publicity- up to 3 articles or reviews
● Artistic excellence
● Public engagement experience
● Clarity of the proposed residency public activity
● Artist must be 18 year of age
● Must be a Queens resident
● Emerging artists of all disciplines may apply
● Emerging artist working in most media will be considered. Artists working with toxic materials, hazardous machinery, etc. will not be considered due to limitations within the building. Oil painting and epoxy resin are permitted.
● Artist must not be currently enrolled in an institutional program of study, including instructional museum programs
● Artists must be comfortable to create their art in an open studio setting where the public is able to interact with the artist in a dedicated and secure space.
● Current 2017 QAF awardees and direct recipients of NYC Department of Cultural Affairs are not eligible for this artist residency program.
● Call to artists: February 1
● Application deadline: March 1 @ 5:00PM
● Notification: Mid -March
● Artist interview late-March (TBD)
● Residency scheduled to begin in April 3, 2017
● Culminating public event, no later than June 30th, 2017.
Artist residents will be selected through an Open Call application process. QCA administrators and representatives from the participating hotels will review applications.
The panel will make a final determination of residency assignment that will include the application process and an in-person interview.
Two artists will be selected to receive a $3000 stipend each for a 3- month period.
The stipend will be paid at the beginning of the residency.
Artists selected for this commission must be committed to create their work in a dedicated open studio environment, utilizing the space for a minimum of 20 hours for the 3-month period.
Artists will be expected to present their work or work in progress during the residency, either as a public lecture or demonstration or exhibition.
Artists will have access to Materials for the Arts through QCA.
Questions regarding QCA ArtHotel Residency? Contact Lynn Lobell, Grants and Resource Director, email@example.com or 347.505.3015.
The QCA ArtHotel Residency is a program of the Queens Council on the Arts, Queens Art Fund that is supported in party by the NYC Department of Cultural Affairs, Greater NY Arts Development Fund, in partnership with the NYC Council and in partnership with the Paper Factory Hotel and the Z NYC Hotel.
More about QCA
Located in the Kaufman Arts District, Queens Council on the Arts’ mission is to foster and develop the arts in Queens County and to support individual artists and arts organizations in presenting their cultural diversity for the benefit of the community.
Since its founding in 1966, QCA has evolved into a wide-ranging arts service organization fostering live cultural experiences and providing grants, professional development, and education services throughout the borough including The Queens Arts Fund, Su Casa Residency program, Professional Development workshops, Artist Leaders Circles, LAB and High School to Art School Portfolio Development Program.
More information can be found at www.queenscouncilarts.org.
More about the Paper Factory Hotel
Located in the heart of LIC, at the crossroads of the Kaufman Arts District and Astoria, the Paper Factory Hotel is an ideal choice for the business traveler as well as the lifestyle driven tourist eager to access New York City. The Paper Factory Hotel’s combined 5,000 square feet of meeting and event spaces make the venue a leading business, wedding, entertainment and party destination that has hosted world-class performers and families creating lifelong memories. Each of the 122 guestrooms has its own unique aesthetic with relaxing hues, curated art, and custom furnishings. The eclectic decor and artistic ambiance are enriched by modern industrial accents reminiscent of this building’s past- a radio manufacturing factory in 1920s, a paper factory in 1970s, converted into a hotel in 2010s. Paper Factory Hotel also features a restaurant and bar, Mundo, known for it’s date night vibes and highly reviewed food and drink. http://www.paperfactoryhotel.com
More about Z NYC Hotel
Just steps from the Queensboro Bridge, this vibrant boutique hotel features a sleek, Jazz Age theme combined with modernist industrial chic in a slender yet stunning 14-story tower. All 100-guest rooms feature luxurious amenities, unique artistic details and floor-to-ceiling windows highlighting the hotel’s sweeping views of the Manhattan skyline. Other highlights include impeccable service, a subterranean bar and restaurant, and a stunning rooftop with dual bars and panoramic views. The hotel offers complimentary transportation to and from Manhattan every hour on the hour. Additionally, public transportation options are just moments away, ready take anywhere in New York City. The hotel is within walking distance of the wonderful tourist attractions, arts and culinary destinations that have put this boutique hotel in LIC on the map. http://www.zhotelny.com